About: Foster Youth in Transition (FYIT) funds are available to cover expenses not covered by other government or community resources, or to augment or supplement services from other funding sources.
Expenses this funding will cover include:
- Daily Living Skills
- Transportation, Metorship
- Parenting Skills and Classes
- Employment Services
- Educational Support/Pre-College
- Graduation Expenses
- Getting a Computer
- Physical and Mental Health Services
- Relationship Building Skills.
- Michigan youth who are active in the foster care system, placed out of their home based on abuse and neglect, starting at age 14 and up to age 21.
- Michigan youth ages 18-21 that have been in foster care on or after their 14th birthday but are no longer under DHHS/Tribal supervision.
- A youth who has or had an open juvenile justice case and is placed in an eligible placement under the supervision of DHHS.
Where to Apply:
- A youth with an open case can access funds through his/her foster care case manager.
- A youth with a closed case must apply for closed case services (YIT) in the current county of residence through the local Department of Helath and Human Services (DHHS) office.
- A tribal youth who was or is only supervised by a tribal court may contact DHHS at 517-373-9219.
- You may also call Jennifer Bauman at 517-241-8904 or by email at BaumannJ@michigan.gov
Click the link below to learn more about FYIT.